NPK Ratios Explained

What are NPK ratios? Whats the best NPK ratio for cannabis plants? How do you calculate the NPK ratio? Lets dive in...

Why NPK ratios are so important when growing cannabis.

NPK is an acronym for Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K) – Three nutrients cannabis plants must have in order to grow properly – into big healthy bushes, producing the biggest, sweetest, most aromatic buds possible. These are referred to as N-P-K Fertilizer Ratio when looking at a bottle of cannabis growing nutrients. The numbers on the ratio chart will be seen as something like this: 15-20-10 – which means there is 15% Nitrogen, 20% Phosphorus, and 10% Potassium… which would account for a total of 45% (15+20+10), which leaves 55% for inert ingredients. When growing marijuana, something very important to remember is that NPK ratios vary between the vegetative and flowering stages. Marijuana plants in the vegetative & early bloom stages require a higher nitrogen ratio, often labeled as PART A or PART 1, as it is the most important component for optimal growth. Once the cannabis plant begins flowering, you’ll want to lower the nitrogen and raise the phosphorus NPK ratios. These are known as PART B or PART 2. Something to keep in mind is that NPK fertilizer ratios do NOT include micro-nutrients, the trace elements found in most soils – which means you’ll need to add these if you’re growing hydroponically as there won’t be any soil used. If your waters calcium is above 200 PPM, adding more calcium may be counterproductive. The best thing to do is find a high-quality micro-nutrient made specifically for hard water. Fox Farm is one of the most commonly used for growing marijuana. Because there are legal issues with large-scale formulation testing, it’s been impossible to get a general consensus on what the perfect NPK ratios is for cannabis plants. Many companies are basically making low-quality products and trying to market them as “THE BEST.” Always stick with the brands that have a proven track record – my favorite cannabis growing nutrients have always been General Hydroponics as they have ALWAYS performed as advertised. Fox Farm is another I frequently use.

General Hydroponics Nutrients NPK ratios for growing cannabis plants

Vegetative Stage = FLORA GROW: 2-1-6

Flowering/Bloom Stage = FLORA BLOOM: 0-5-4

weed nutrients

Advanced Nutrients NPK ratios for growing cannabis plants

Vegetative Stage = CONNOISSEUR PART A: 4-0-4

Flowering/Bloom Stage = CONNOISSEUR PART B: 1-5-6

best npk ratio cannabis growing nutrients label
best hydroponic nutrients for growing marijuana plants grow Hydroponics Nutrients

If any of this seems like it’s too much to learn, my best advice would be to watch my videos and see how well the nutrients I used work, and then just copy what I do with you cannabis grow. It’s proven effective. Using a basic NPK ratio is the easiest way to learn, as it keeps everything cut and dry, making cannabis growing as easy as possible. Overthinking often leads to failure, keep it short and simple.

Share your love


  1. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

  2. You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I to find this topic to be really something that I believe I might by no means understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m taking a look ahead in your next submit, I?¦ll try to get the hold of it!

  3. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such magnificent information being shared freely out there.

  4. Thanks , I’ve just been searching for info approximately this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you certain in regards to the source?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *