- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread
- 4 tablespoons pot butter
1. In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F.
3. Dip bread into mixture, allow soaking for 30 seconds on each side, and then place to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan.
5. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
6. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes.
7. Repeat with all 8 slices.
8. Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.